So Masquerade, the third book in the Micah Grey series following Pantomime & Shadowplay, is out in just over a month (wow!). Official release date is March 9th (North America–it’s closer to June, but the book can be ordered via Book Depository or also pre-ordered). This is a book I’ve been wanting to come out for years. I originally thought it’d be out in early 2015, but as many of you know, it switched publishers and publishing the series over the last five years has been a bit of a roller coaster, but the end is here! I wanted to celebrate and say thank you to both those who have been patiently waiting for a few years or those who just stumbled onto the series recently.
So, pre-order incentive time! This is my first time doing one, and I’m very curious to see what the results are.
So, by EITHER pre-ordering Masquerade (at any retailer and in any format, and this is not date specific–if you already pre-ordered you can claim it. Again, if you’re North American and want the paperback copy in March, Book Depository is your best bet) OR if you’re new to the series, buy Pantomime (from today’s date, any retailer and in any format), you get:
1. An e-book of the FREE, 10k, brand-new Vestigial Tale called “The Mechanical Minotaur”
Untold centuries ago, the Archipelago was ruled by the Alder—mysterious beings who vanished, leaving behind only scattered artefacts of unknown power, called Vestige. Sometimes, a person will be lucky or unlucky enough to discover that each piece of Vestige has its own tale to tell . . .
The Mechanical Minotaur
Evander’s father locks him in the cellar on his twelfth birthday. Their house in the Emerald Bowl is cold and empty, far from the warm home in Imachara where he lived with his parents back when his mother was alive. Yet down in the dim, dark cellar is a trunk with Evander’s name on it, and within is an automaton that says it can lead the boy back to his mother . . .
Vestigial Tales are stories set in the world of the award-winning Micah Grey series. Step behind the circus ring from Pantomime, the theatre of Shadowplay, and the court magic of Masquerade.
It’s sort of like Boy Cinderella meets The Indian in the Cupboard (without the cultural appropriation). It does have some events that tie into the climax of Masquerade, so it’s best read after the series is finished. No characters overlap, really.
This will eventually go up on Amazon for purchase, but you’d have access to it months earlier and as a bonus for pre-ordering or starting the series.
In addition, you can receive:
2. A custom, double-sided bookmark (Micah Grey on one side & Pacifica on the other), a signed custom playing card (chosen at random). There’s 32 stickers left, so it’s first come, first served for either a Pantomime, Shadowplay, or Snake Charm sticker (with the old Micah Grey covers).
Ooh, pretty. Bookmarks were designed by Craig Lam.
BONUS (like that part of the infomercial where the announcer goes BUT WAIT):
If you buy Pantomime, Shadowplay, and Masquerade (new Pan Macmillan editions–even if you bought P & S back in November/December), I’ll also send you the other Vestigial Tales (“The Fisherman’s Net”, “The Tarot Reader”, and “The Card Sharp”) as ebooks. “The Snake Charm” can be read up on Wattpad to get a sense of what they’re like, as well as the first 6 chapters of Pantomime.
- Buy your book(s) of choice.
- Email receipt(s) to lauralamauthor(at)gmail(dot)com. Scans, photo of the receipt on your phone, or email receipts are all fine as long as I can read it. (NOTE: I originally put an incorrect email because of course I did. The lauralamauthor one is correct).
- If you want the bookmarks/stickers/signed card, include your mailing address. Yes, this is open internationally.
- Tell me if you prefer “The Mechanical Minotaur” (or the other Vestigial Tales) in .pdf, .epub, or .mobi format.
- Enjoy the story and swag!
- (Optional) Leave a review on a vendor site or Goodreads after reading!
Just as a warning, I might send these out in bunches depending on admin time, so you might have to wait a day or two before receiving the story.
Pre-ordering is very good for book series, especially the third. It helps signal to the publisher that there’s a waiting audience. So thanks again everyone for the support for this series–it really means a lot to me, and so these bonuses are the least I can do. <3